I shared on Instagram that my daughter is constantly getting huge knots in her hair that take me forever to comb out and so many of your responded with ideas on how to prevent this. I thought I would share all the tips since it seems that many other moms have the same problem.
1. Regular Haircuts - A lot of times knots will get worse when your child is in need of a haircut. Make sure you are regularly getting their hair trimmed to prevent knots.
2. Brushing And Braids At Night - Make sure to thoroughly brush out their hair each night and do a quick braid for them to sleep in to prevent the hair getting tangled as they sleep. We use our favorite continuous spray bottle and brush from our shop to brush each night.
3. Silk Pillowcase - Have your child sleep with a silk pillowcase. Here is the silk pillowcase I have and I had my daughter start using it last night:
There are lots of benefits of a silk pillowcase but here are a few:
- Reduces friction: Unlike cotton or other materials, silk pillowcases create less friction against your hair and skin while you sleep. This can help prevent hair breakage and split ends, as well as reduce the appearance of facial wrinkles and sleep lines.
- Retains moisture: Silk is a natural fiber that helps to retain moisture, making it an excellent choice for people with dry skin or hair. Sleeping on a silk pillowcase can help to keep your skin and hair hydrated throughout the night.
- Hypoallergenic: Silk is naturally hypoallergenic, which means it's less likely to cause allergic reactions or irritate sensitive skin. This makes it an excellent choice for people with allergies or skin conditions like eczema.
- Temperature-regulating: Silk pillowcases are known for their ability to regulate temperature. They help to keep you cool in the summer and warm in the winter, making them an ideal choice for year-round use.
4. Silk Scrunchie - A few people said to use the silk scrunchie at the bottom of the braid or pull her hair up in a high pony or bun with a silk scrunchie. I haven't tired that yet but here are a couple scrunchies that some of our followers specifically recommended:
5. Leave-in Conditioner - Make sure you are using a good leave-in conditioner or detangler. My favorite is the SexyHair Healthy Tri-Wheat Leave-In Conditioner that I've shared on Instagram a few times. It works great and smells amazing!
Leave a comment